Looking for things to do in Houston in May? Here is a hand-picked list of events and activities that you will enjoy.
Sunday, May 20, 2018
- The Great Texas BBQ Festival (12:00 pm) – This brand new festival will feature some of Texas’ best and biggest names in bbq, beer, and music at Sam Houston Park. Tickets start at $40.
- Love Street Music Fest (2:00 pm) – This music fest at Karbach Brewing features performances by Everclear, Cold War Kids, Bleachers, The Tontons, and The Unlikely Candidates. Tickets start at $30.
- Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom at The Ensemble Theatre (3:00 pm) – August Wilson’s play tells the story of legendary blues singer Ma Rainey, as she and her band get together to record an album, against the backdrop of exploitation of black recording artists by white producers. Play runs through June 3, 2018. Tickets $30.
- SiriusXM Shade 45 Presents: TECH N9NE at House of Blues (7:00 pm) – Rapper TECH N9NE performs live at HOB. Tickets start at $29.50.
Saturday, May 19, 2018
- Crawfish Fest at The Esplanade on Navigation (12:00 pm) – You can celebrate crawfish season at the inaugural Houston Crawfish Fest at the Esplanade on Navigation. Free admission.
- Bayou City Music Series featuring HSPVA Jazz Band (6:30 pm) – This Bayou City Music Series performance features the full HSPVA Jazz Band; saxophonist Grady Gaines, who has recorded with Little Richard, Sam Cooke and many others; vocalist Trudy Lynn; and the ThunderSOUL Orchestra, a 14-piece orchestra featuring former students of Conrad Johnson from Kashmere High School. Free admission.
- Houston Whiskey and Fine Spirit Festival (7:00 pm) – The Houston Whiskey Festival is an upscale tasting event happening in Downtown Houston, featuring a wide assortment of whiskey, bourbon, Scotch, and other fine spirits. There will also be live music, light bites, whiskey seminars, a cigar lounge. Tickets start at $65.
- Kendrick Lamar in Concert (7:00 pm) – Kendrick Lamar performs live at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. Joining him will be SZA, Schoolboy Q and more. Tickets start at $44.
- Certified Funny Saturday with Comedian Lil Darrel (8:00 pm) – Grooves of Houston hosts an evening of comedy with comedian Lil Darrel. Tickets start at $20.
Friday, May 18, 2018
- Who Put the “H” in Rhythm & Blues? at A.D. Players Theater (7:00 pm) – This live music anthology traces the roots of the original American art form, rhythm and blues music. The performance showcases 80 songs that changed the world. Tickets start t $40.
- 90’s Hip-Hop and R&B Night at 3rd Ward Tours (7:30 pm) – Cruise the city streets on bikes while vibing out to Missy Elliot, Nas and more 90’s Hip-Hop and R&B. Tickets start at $11.
- Khalid in Concert (8:00 pm) – 19-year-old singer-songwriter Khalid performs live at the Smart Financial Centre. Tickets start at $40.95.
Thursday, May 17, 2018
- Slim Thug in Concert (7:00 pm) – Houston rapper Slim Thug performs live at Discovery Green. DJ Baby Roo opens the show. Free admission.
- Brian Culbertson – Colors of Love Tour (7:00 pm) – Brian Culberson performs live at House of Blues. Tickets start at $60.
- Rich the Kid in Concert (7:00 pm) – Hip-hop artist Rich the Kid performs live at Revention Music Center. Tickets start at $33.
- ZZ Ward in Concert (8:00 pm) – Blues singer-songwriter ZZ Ward performs live at The Heights Theater. Tickets start at $22.
Wednesday, May 16, 2018
- Jazz Wednesdays at Axelrad (6:30 pm) – Alexrad hosts Jazz Wednesdays every week with a dynamic rotation of the best Jazz musicians in Houston. Free admission.
Tuesday, May 15, 2018
- Heights Comedy Showcase and Open Mic (8:00 pm) – Enjoy laughs at Heights Comedy Showcase and Open Mic night hosted by Danny Rios Steven Kendrick at Fitzgerald’s. Free admission.
Monday, May 14, 2018
- The Original Monday Night Jazz Jam at Café 4212 (8:00 pm) – Cafe 4212 hosts this weekly jazz jam session featuring spirited and brassy New Orleans-style jazz. A weekly institution since 1953, it’s the longest-running jazz music series in Texas. Free admission.
Sunday, May 13, 2018 – Mother’s Day
- Houston Ballet presents Don Quixote at Miller Outdoor Theatre (8:00 pm) – Delight in a whimsical performance of Don Quixote when the Houston Ballet performs a free show at Miller Outdoor Theatre. Free admission.
Saturday, May 12, 2018
- The 2018 Reggae Fest (2:00 pm) – The 2018 Reggae Fest will feature a lineup of live music, art, food, vendors and more at Peggy Park. Tickets start at $11.
- H-Town Festival of Laughs (8:00 pm) – Comedian Sommore, Earthquake, Bruce Bruce, Arnez J, Don DC Curry, and George Wallace perform live in NRG Arena. Tickets start at $52.
Friday, May 11, 2018
- Vincent Victoria Presents Sins of the Mother at Midtown Art Center (6:00 pm) – Set in the 1950’s Philadelphia, Vincent Victoria Presents the compelling drama that tells the story of three generations of mothers dealing with dysfunction and alcoholism. Tickets start at $15.
Thursday, May 10, 2018
- Skizzy Mars in Concert (7:00 pm) – New York-based rapper and producer Skizzy Mars performs live at White Oak Music Hall. Tickets start at $17.
Wednesday, May 9, 2018
- Broadway at the Hobby Center presents Hamilton: An American Musical (7:30 pm) – The record-breaking musical is known for featuring a very diverse cast portraying U.S. founding fathers and historical figures, a clever combination of American music genres, including hip-hop, R&B, pop music, soul music, and traditional-style show tunes. Tickets start at $175.
Tuesday, May 8, 2018
- Heights Comedy Showcase and Open Mic (8:00 pm) – Enjoy laughs at Heights Comedy Showcase and Open Mic night hosted by Danny Rios Steven K
Monday, May 7, 2018
- The Original Monday Night Jazz Jam at Café 4212 (8:00 pm) – Cafe 4212 hosts this weekly jazz jam session featuring spirited and brassy New Orleans-style jazz. A weekly institution since 1953, it’s the longest-running jazz music series. Free admission.
Sunday, May 6, 2018
- JMBLYA Festival (2:00 pm) – Hip-hip music festival featuring performances from J.Cole, Migos, Young Thug, Kevin Gates and many more. Special local guests include Bun B, Trae Tha Truth, and DJ Mr. Rogers. Tickets start at $80.
Saturday, May 5, 2018
- LULAC District VIII Cinco de Mayo Parade (10:00 am) – Enjoy Mexican culture as LULAC District 8 present a festive Cinco de Mayo parade at Minute Maid Park in Downtown. Free admission.
Friday, May 4, 2018
- First Friday Happy Hour at the Gite Gallery (5:00 pm) – Network with Houston’s top professionals while enjoying the collection of original fine art by African and Cuban artists. There will be FREE champagne and light bites. Free admission.
Thursday, May 3, 2018
- The Whisky Extravaganza (6:00 pm) – Sample over 100 of the world’s best whiskeys, sip on craft cocktails, indulge in whiskey inspired bites and learn from industry experts through curated masterclasses at Royal Sonesta. Tickets start at $135.
Wednesday, May 2, 2018
- Reggae Wednesday at The Flat (10:00 pm) – Vibe to old and new school, dancehall, reggae, soca, and afro beats with DJ Fiyah Rama at The Flat. Free admission.
Tuesday, May 1, 2018
- Jack White in Concert (7:00 pm) – Singer, songwriter, and producer Jack White performs live at Revention Music Center. Tickets start at $79.