I’ve watched the American Music Awards every year since I was a teenager and I’ve seen some incredible performances. This year’s awards show did not disappoint and had it’s fair share of outstanding performances. Here are the top 5 performances of the night.
1. Justin Timberlake – JT continues to stake his claim as the top performer in pop music. He sang “Drink You Away” with confidence, played the guitar, and gave the other performers a lesson in poise, class, and showmanship.
2. Ariana Grande – I’m used to seeing Ariana Grande play an airhead on my daughter’s favorite tween shows. She wowed me with her stage presence and amazing voice. I think it may be time for her to abandon “Sam & Kat” and focus on singing full time.
3. A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera – This heartfelt, understated performance filled with raw emotion and beautiful instrumentation restored my faith in music.
4. Jennifer Lopez – I’m a sucker for Latin music. Lopez’s tribute to late salsa star Celia Cruz was a highlight of the night. J.Lo sang and danced with enthusiasm and managed not to fall.
5. Kendrick Lamar – I first heard Kendrick Lamar spit rhymes on Big Sean’s song “Control.” Kendrick stole the show with his vicious lyrics. This performance of “Swimming Pools,” wasn’t as fiery as that track, but it did display the young rappers verbal skills and musicianship.